"Yes We Did"

Thursday, November 6, 2008

"I have a dream that one day man will NOT be judged by the colour of their skin but by the content of their character."
--Martin Luther King, during the famous "I have a dream" speech in August, 1963

45 years later, this dream has been realised.
The world cried tears of joy when another black American addressed at the end of a fruitful 22-month long campaign as the newly elected president of the United States of America.

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

There must be gazillion people worldwide already blogging about what is mankind's biggest victory so far, each having a different story to tell.
Like me.

Since yesterday, I haven't been able to stop smiling.
The goosebumps don't want to stop and I have a lump in my throat.
My eyes are burning hot with tears.

I am a non-American.
But I know that this is not about America, or India or even Kenya.
It is much bigger than the lines drawn by man.
It is about what binds every human together.
It is about bringing back hope when people can't walk anymore.
It is about bringing back the first ray of sunshine after a dark night which was not wanting to come to an end.

My father asked me the other day why I wanted Obama to win.
I said that I thought that he is a man who is going to do great things.
Not just for America, but for the world.
If he is strong enough to be able to rise above creed and colour, he is strong enough to shoulder humanity.

"To those - to those who would tear the world down: We will defeat you. To those who seek peace and security: We support you. And to all those who have wondered if America's beacon still burns as bright: Tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity and unyielding hope. "


We have talked about Kennedy.
We have talked about Luther King.
Now, let us talk about Barack Hussein Obama.

3 shut-the-hell-ups:

deluded said...

no.......really

that makes no sense

he only harped about how he is a great guy.......and less about actual issues..

which would make him a public favourite.....AND not too well informed about current issues

but then again

who am I to judge,

I didnt even vote for my own PM

i.am.like.this.only said...

well, for current issues, you really should have kept yourself updated with the campaign.
:)

Anonymous said...

really?

information is overrated i think

i'll decide when he actually does something great......

until then....

hmmph!